Saturday 11 May 2013

The Quartiermeistergeneralstab

A General officer taking a report from a member of the Adjutant Staff. A Field Officer of the Quartiermeistergeneralstab is in the background                                              






The Quartiermeistergeneralstab (QMS) is a proposal for an Austrian napoleonic re-enactment unit. This is a very personal ambition. I have always been keen on the Austrian Napoleonic army, and have taken part in some events in the 2000's under the Doppeladler. I then fell ill, and retired for nearly ten years. Now I am ready for a return.

But I am in the UK, and at the moment very much on my own. So this blog will outline this journey, containing personal ambitions, uniform creation, research and general outpourings of frustration.

So why the QMS? Well, I want to re-enact on the continent. I really want to fly out rather than drive, especially as i do not have a car! So no firearms. I doubt with my balance I would make a good cavalryman, and artillery units in the Austrian army are fairly rare.

But the staff, well, that offers good living history options, no need for firearms or horses, and it does not really exist as an organisation. Also, with no need for drill, people can join the QMS wherever they are. There are options to be an officer, rank and file or civilians and a post will discuss the various roles that could be available within the QMS.

There will also be posts about the structure of a staff, the uniform, living history, making uniforms and as many other obstacles, embuggerances and irritants that I come across.

My personal thanks to Romain Baulesch for his support with this project.


John

No comments:

Post a Comment